• allisonmwills

The Health Benefits of Watermelon


Citrulline

Watermelon is rich in citrulline, which is converted into arginine in the body. These amino acids help drive the nitric oxide pathway, helping you relax and leading to vasodilation. As the blood vessels are dilated, more blood can circulate, helping to decrease blood pressure. Another benefit of L-arginine and nitric oxide is improving incontinence and sexual function, due to increased blood flow to the reproductive organs in both males and females

Lycopene

Lycopene is well-studied nutrient. Many know tomatoes are a rich source of lycopene, but watermelon has been found to contain the readily available cis-isomeric lycopene, a biologically active form of the nutrient. Recent studies show that lycopene helps minimize the development of cancer by interrupting cancer cell growth, promoting cancer cell apoptosis. Lycopene is often known for it's role in prostate cancer prevention specifically as it also regulates hormonal pathways.

Carotenoids

Carotenoids are colorful antioxidants that get converted into Vitamin A in the body. Carotenoids and Vitamin A are important nutrients in keeping our eyes healthy and functioning. A diet rich in carotenoids can help prevent macular degeneration associated with aging and help regulate skin cell turnover, improving the quality and texture of skin.

Potassium:

Watermelons contain a surprisingly significant amount of potassium, required for muscular and nerve functions. Watermelon is 92% water, with the remaining 8% being nutrients and minerals. The potassium and water in watermelon make an ideal natural electrolyte source, and is an efficient hydrating food. Although heat stroke is best avoided with proper hydration and exertion monitoring, watermelon is a great addition to help prevent heat stroke, and reduce body temperature, making it an ideal food for summer.


23 views

2121 East Coast Hwy Suite 210 

Corona del Mar, CA 92625

Tel: 949-891-1693

  • Yelp Social Icon
  • White Facebook Icon

© 2020 by Allison Wills Naturopathic Doctor, Inc.